It is time for my annual list of favorite beauty products & tools. I’ve taken the last few weeks to really think about the list, and now have my final top 25! I swear by these formulas, shades, and products. Each one of these picks have the Platinum Blonde Life stamp of approval for no other reason than I have personally used & grown to love them. So without further delay, here are my favorites (in no particular order) for 2008 (some are so good they have carried over from 2007’s list!):
- Bobbi Brown Long-Wear gel eyeliner, in any of the shimmer inks- this made my 2006 favorite things list, but missed the 2007 list when I moved back to Smashbox, now I’m back to Bobbi Brown! These annual lists are fun to look back on–it really does show you where your loyalties lie! I switched back to Bobbi Brown mid-2008 because I really do love the formula…it lasts all day, and they have introduced so many cool shimmer inks over the past year that I simply feel the urge to try them all!
- Nars concealer in Vanilla $21 @ Sephora, this offers full coverage and matches my skintone perfectly. I don’t like when concealers are too heavy or creamy, this one is just right.
- M.A.C. paint pots $16.50 @ M.A.C.- I couldn’t live with out my Painterly Paint pot…I wear it as a base every day. These are fun cream shadows to play around with, and I have found that the formula is about as crease free as any cream shadow on the market.
- Sephora Brand Midnight Train Case $90– I purchased it a few months ago as my very first train case, and it literally saved my life. A little bit of organization goes a long way, especially if you are like me and are a bit of a beauty product whore 🙂
- Biore Deep Cleansing Pore Strips $7.49 @ Drugstore.com- These are a drug store staple for me, you may feel silly putting these on but they really do clear out your pores!
- Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Exfoliating Scrub in Pink Grapefruit $7.99 @ Drugstore.com, I love the new refreshing scent of this cleanser. This is a refreshing scrub, and is perfect for sensitive skin!
- M.A.C. 219 brush $23–I love all of my M.A.C. brushes, but this one is a godsend when it comes to perfectly smudging, blending, and shading in the crease 🙂
- Stila Lip Glaze $22 in Watermelon @ Sephora- This is perfect high gloss pink that looks great for any occassion!
- Aveda Phomollient Styling Foam $14 @ Aveda- When I lived in Chicago my stylist got me hooked on this foam, it is lightweight, smells amazing, and gives me the volume I need. This is why it has made it on my Favorite Things list every year!
- Too Faced California in a Compact – Beach Bunny , $25 @ Sephora; I started using this when I was looking for a slightly cheaper shimmer brick alternative. I fell in love with this because it gives me a natural looking sun kissed glow, which is hard to come by when you are as pale as me! I love the packaging of this and the extra large mirror perfect for when I’m on the go!
- Mistral Body Cream in Green Apple Passionfruit $26–My friends Kelly & Tricia gave this to me when they came to visit in New York and I have been hooked on this ever since. It smells so good I swear I have been tempted to taste it! I love the whipped texture of the cream too!
- Aveda Light Elements Smoothing Fluid $24 @ Aveda- This was another recommendation from my Chicago stylist, it gives my hair amazing shine without weighing it down.
- Harajuku Lovers G , $25 – $45- I bought this fragrance because of the doll packaging. I couldn’t resist, but then was pleasantly surprised when it smelled Amazing! It is the perfect summer fragrance, but I wear it year round just for fun! 🙂
- Smashbox Photo Finish primer in Color Adjust $38 @ Sephora- I have tried a number of primers but none have come even close to this one. This neutralizes any redness and gives me the perfect start to applying makeup
- M.A.C. blush in Blooming $18– Lately I have been wearing this more than NARS Orgasm, which should say alot, because there probably isn’t a shade I love more than Orgasm but Blooming is close. I really love it in winter, when my skin is ultra pale and needs only a pinch of pink to pop.
- Philosophy Eye Believe $30 @ Sephora–I have been very diligent about finding an eye cream that I really love. This one provides the moisture I need and instantly blends into the skin.
- Neutrogena On-The-Spot Treatment $6.99 @ Drugstore.com–I have used this since high school and when I do have the occassional unsightly pimple this clears it up right away. I wouldn’t dare try anything else.
- Pink Polka Dot Mini Slant Tweezers $14 @ Sephora–I finally got around to replacing my old boring tweezers with these babies, they were like a charm and are too cute for words!
- Soap & Glory® Spa Sugar Crush Body Scrub – 15.2 oz. $16.99 @ Target–I bought this scrub during the Target Bodega pop-up and fell head over heels in love with it. Even my boyfriend is a fan! The formula counts crushed brown sugar, sweet lime, almond oil and macadamia grains as ingredients. The result, an irresistible scent with wonderful exfoliating power and it is soo affordable!
- Laura Mercier Mineral powder in tender rose $35 @ Sephora–this offers great coverage, and since I started using it, my skin improved immensely!
- Philosophy Hope In A Jar for Dry & Sensitive skin $38 @ Sephora–this moisturizer is another staple of mine. My boyfriend and I both swear by it! Needless to say we go through a lot of it in our household!
- Urban Decay eyeshadow in Last Call $16- I love this shimmery, glitter free, pink-plum shade! It is gorgeous!
- Christian Dior Iconic Mascara $27- I have finally found the perfect mascara…the spiral brush does amazing things to your lashes…coats each one completely while simultaneously separating, lengthening and curling your lashes. The formula does not flake, clump, and stays put (seriously, you need to invest in eye makeup remover if you wear this! :)) Personally, I think it is a thousand times better than the original Diorshow.
- M.A.C. Shadow Pigments $19.50; By far my favorite eyeshadow formula of all time. I want these in every color, but Mauvement, Blonde’s Gold, & Copperbeam are my favorite shades.
- Softsoap bodywash in Pomegranate & Mango — I bought this and the Softsoap Pink Grapefruit scent for $3 each at Target and I don’t know why I would ever want to spend more on a body wash ever again. These are amazing!
Check out other Favorite Things of 2008 lists from these amazing bloggers:
Beautiful Makeup Search
For The Love of Beauty
Life Of A Ladybug
lily loves mac
Make Do Style
Miss Whoever You Are
Platinum Blonde Life
Searching the Inner Me
Slap Of The Day
The Beauty Alchemist
Also be sure check out my lists from 2007 & 2006!