|D.I.Y. Color blocked American Apparel Pouches|
This is wildly addictive d.i.y. project allows you to transform your plain leather pouch into a fun color blocked accessory. I thought, why not join in on the fun? American Apparel has a great selection of leather pouches in various sizes and colors. I like these because they have contrasting color zippers which adds to the color blocking fun, but any leather pouch will do.
- Leather Pouch (I used American Apparel’s Medium Pouch in Black (w/ red contrasting zipper) and Melon (w/ violet contrasting zipper))
- Painter’s Tape (or masking tape)
- Tape Measure (or a straight edge and a keen eye)
- Acrylic Paint in choice color (I used Liquitex Heavy Body Acrylic paint in Cobalt Blue and Cadmium Yellow Medium)
- Paint Brush
- Clear Acrylic Sealer Gloss Finish Prepare your work surface and use an old magazine or catalog as a paint palette (Matte sealer is also available if you prefer)
- Prepare your work surface from any paint mishaps. I like to use an old catalog or magazine as a paint palette. I also keep a plastic cup with a bit of water nearby, as this helps make the paint a bit more manageable on the surface.
- Measure out and tape off your desired stripe(s). For the Melon pouch I measured a 2 inch vertical stripe in the center of the pouch. For the black pouch I measured a three inch horizontal stripe on the bottom of the pouch all the way around so I could paint both sides.
- Begin painting, allow each coat to dry for 2 hours before laying on another coat. The Melon pouch covered easily, but the Black pouch was not so easy. It took me several coats to get it just right. It might help to prime the surface with white paint if you choose a dark pouch, or just bring a lot of patience!
- Now that the stripe(s) are completely dry and are looking the way you want them to, it is time to spray on some sealer for a nice glossy finish. Be sure to spray in a well ventilated area and according to instructions on the can. Allow to dry for 15 minutes. Peel off tape. Now you have a fabulous Color Blocked Clutch.
|My D.I.Y. Celine inspired pouch|
|My Clare Vivier (non-envelope) inspired pouch|
Have fun with this! The possibilities are endless!