Recently I started practicing bikram yoga regularly and while the heat is intense I’ve come to look forward to my 90 minute sweat sessions. It is easy to feel intimidated before first stepping foot into a yoga studio, but my experience is one of encouragement and positivity. I encourage you all to take a leap and try a class at a studio near you. To get you through a class, I’ve selected a few essentials that help me get through my classes. It is really important to stay hydrated, be as comfortable in your clothes (no heavy cotton –only sweat wicking materials think shorts & tanks/sports bras), and keep from slipping and sliding on your mat.
- Manduka 71-Inch PROlite Travel Yoga Mat (I am in love with this mat, so easy to take back and forth to class, comfortable, with great grip)
- CamelBak eddy Insulated .6L Lavender (I always bring two to class- love the insulated bottle keeps my water colder for longer and prevents the bottle from sweating)
- Yogitoes Yoga Sweatless Hand Towel (helps me get better grip, and helps prevent sweat from dripping into my eye)
- Manduka Go Easy Yoga Mat Sling, Pewter (There are plenty of different slings, but this one quick, effective, and fuss free)
- Yogitoes Skidless Premium Mat Size Yoga Towel (A lot of people in my class use beach towels, but I find these to be well worth the price, they fit my mat perfectly, have a rubber side that grips the mat (even better as it gets wet), and soaks up the buckets of sweat)
- Onzie Elastic Bra Top $42 (Onzie has fun prints, and I love the elastic backs on this top)
- Under Armour Women’s Compression Shorts $25 @ Dick’s Sporting Goods (I prefer to purchase clothes that I can run AND do yoga in, so I steer clear from the yoga booty shorts that seem to be favored in my class. Instead I wear compression running shorts from Under Armour or Nike)
Before baby I was running 4-6 miles a day. Once I was cleared to workout, I eased back into the running thing, and once the little guy was old enough, I took him for regular spins in our BOB Revolution SE Single Stroller and stuck to lunch time treadmill burnout sessions. My goal is to run a personal best 10K in JUNE. So I have time, but I have work to do! (I am running intervals on the treadmill on even days, and on odd days I am mixing in steady runs with circuit training.)
Because most of New York is under a nearly 10″ blanket of snow, the gym is where most of us will be training. If you’re anything like me, new workout gear always motivates me to hit the gym hard. These are my gym bag essentials (the shoes are on my wish list!)
- Under Armoir Twisted Tech Tee $24.99 @ Nordstrom- so soft and comfortable, semi-fitted
- Under Armour Run Stretch Woven 17″ Capri @ Under Armour- I tend to stick to capri length for all runs, unless I am running outside in the cold. These fit well, are comfortable, stay in place, wick sweat, and are not see through.
- Nike Free 5.0 Running Shoe $100 @ Nike- I am currently on my second pair of Nike Lunar Glides (which are uber comfortable) but have wanted to take a run in these for quite some time as I’ve heard great things about them.
- Yurbuds ‘Inspire for Women’ Earbuds $30 @ Nordstrom- sweat & water resistant headphones are just what I need. I also like to keep a separate workout only pair of headphones on hand.
- Apple iPhone 5s $199+ @ Apple (My favorite fitness apps are Nike Running/Move, Nike Training Club, & My Fitness Pal)
- Under Armour Hair Ties (6 pack) $10 @ Nordstrom- Nothing is more frustrating than getting to the gym and realizing you don’t have a hair tie. I keep extra in my bag now that I have found myself in that position too many times. I love the positive messages on these.
- Moving Comfort Rebound Racer Sports Bra $50 @ Zappos- This sports bra is great because not only does it support “the girls” it is sized by actual bra sizes not just S, M, L.
- Pilayo® Braid Headband $12 @ Athleta- This helps wick sweat while also keeping your bangs in place!
- Spring Gym Tote with yoga mat strap $79 @ Athleta- This bag is big enough to fit everything, yet doesn’t look like your typical gym bag. It has separate compartments to separate dirty & clean clothes, a shoe bag, and way to easily strap and transport a yoga mat!
- Baya Flip Flops $20 (currently 20% off) @ Crocs- a comfortable pair of non-slip shower flip flops are a must.
- Ultimate Padded Running Socks $14 @ Lululemon- These fit well, are sweat wicking, pad blister prone areas, and are attractive. They even give you a personal reminder as you put them on with the message “personal best”.
- CamelBak Eddy Insulated Water Bottle $16 @ Amazon- This insulated water bottle keeps your water cold, but also prevents your bottle from sweating and thereby getting everything else in your bag wet.