Summer is a time for sun, drinks, and seafood! It isn’t quite summer yet, but my husband and I decided to whip up some shrimp tacos with a twist. Frequently fish/shrimp tacos are served with some sort of slaw, usually yogurt or mayonnaise based, but the hubby isn’t a fan of coleslaw, so we stuck to fresh veggies, spices and olive oil.
|Shrimp Tacos served with a side of black beans|
Shrimp Taco Ingredients:
Whole Wheat Tortillas
Crumbled Blue Cheese (or any other cheese of your choice)
Red Pepper Flakes
Choice Hot Sauce
Choice Salsa (we opted for Mango flavored Salsa)
- Place shrimp in bowl with a bit of olive oil and a rub of basil, red pepper, chili powder and red pepper flakes. Allow this to sit while you chop veggies and prepare the slaw.
- The slaw was made by julienning a green pepper and a frying pepper and then mixing with fresh shredded carrots, olive oil, basil, sea salt & chili powder. (If you have some on hand, red cabbage would be a great edition to this mix as well).
- The shrimp were sauteed on the stove top with olive oil. (In later summer months grilling the shrimp would add a second flavor dimension.)
- Warm the tortillas, then place slaw, add shrimp, diced tomatoes, and sliced avocado on top.
- We topped off our tacos with crumbled blue cheese, mango salsa, and hot sauce, and enjoyed them with a side of black beans and a cold beer.
|Left: Carrot/Pepper Slaw Right: Prepping Tomato & Avocado|